CONNECTED TRUCKS: ALREADY IN EVIDENCE ON THE GROUND
While the autonomous truck (insofar as being driverless) will have to wait a few more years before it takes to the roads of Europe, the connected vehicle already exists in reality on the ground.
Heavy goods vehicle telematics have been an established component of transport management systems for many years, even if they are not yet fully widespread or adopted in full by all vehicles and firms. They have provided an initial connection between operations and the driver and truck via real-time fleet positioning and through the recording and reporting of driving profiles, fuel consumption and driving time.
Telematics has also connected the firm to the vehicle by allowing the transfer of data such as road maps, address details, task lists and recommendations to drivers, directly onto an on-board screen. On this mature telematics market, heavy-duty vehicle manufacturers have for many years remained in the shadows of on-board IT and software processing specialists. TRIMBLE TRANSPORT & LOGISTICS, for instance, will soon be fitting its on-board/mobile system XPS to nearly 7,000 vehicles from the main European subsidiaries of XPO Logistics, replacing RENAULT TRUCKS solutions. But everything is beginning to change…
Telematics, connected rigs, IoT, sensors, big data... everything you need to know about connected vehicles is in our file!
Connected vehicles in the spotlight at SOLUTRANS 2017:
- TALK - WEDNESDAY 22 NOVEMBER - FROM 10.30AM TO 12.30PM - «SWEDEN DAY»
- «Examples of Swedish solutions aiming to improve the efficiency of goods transportation, resulting from partnerships between the transport industry and Swedish universities and governmental bodies.»
- TALK - WEDNESDAY 22 NOVEMBER - FROM 2.30PM - TO 4:30PM
- «Commercial and urban vehicles: autonomous and driverless concepts: Utopia or reality?»
- «Connected vehicles and semi-trailers: for better tracking of goods and people.»
- TALK - THURSDAY 23 NOVEMBER - FROM 2:00 PM TO 3.00 PM
- «Smart City: Transpolis, the first laboratory town dedicated to urban mobility and smart and connected goods vehicles.»